Black Bean Empanadas
Pack these Black Bean Empanadas for lunch to keep your children’s brains charged with several servings of fruits and veggies!
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 3 mini sweet peppers, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped sweet onions
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium taco seasoning
- 12 frozen empanadas, thawed
- ¾ cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 6 guacamole mini packets (or sub two mashed avocados)
- Fresh fruit and veggies
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add peppers, onions and tomatoes. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender. Add black beans and taco seasoning. Cook 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Lay empanada dough out on parchment-lined baking sheet. Fill with black bean filling and 1 tablespoon cheese. Fold dough over filling to create pocket. Use fork to press down sides to seal. Brush with egg whites. Repeat with remaining dough, filling, cheese and egg whites.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
Serve two empanadas with guacamole (or mashed avocados) for dipping, and the fruit and veggies on the side.
More Main Courses
With roasted turnips, pears and leeks