Greens ‘n’ Grains Bowl
Use your favorite greens in this adaptable dish. Cooked chicken or baked tofu cubes would be hearty additions, or top individual servings with a poached or over-easy fried egg.
- 4 cups cooked, warm farro or brown rice
- 9 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 green onions, with tops, chopped
- 1½ cups chopped white or cremini mushrooms
- 8 cups chopped chard, spinach, kale, tatsoi or a combination
- 1½ tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped avocado
Put the warm cooked farro or rice in a large bowl. Set aside.
Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a wide sauté pan, then add the onions, mushrooms and greens, and sprinkle lightly with salt. Cook, stirring, until the greens are wilted.
In a small bowl, whisk together the 5 tablespoons olive oil with the sherry vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
Stir the greens mixture into the grains. Add the red cabbage and parsley. Pour the vinaigrette over and toss gently to combine. Top each serving with chopped avocado.