Grown-Up Tomato Mac & Cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) box gemelli pasta (substitutes include penne)
- 4 cups water
- 2½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (24-ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
In large pot, combine pasta and water. Cook over medium-high heat 20–22 minutes, or until pasta is done, stirring occasionally.
In bowl, combine 2 cups cheddar cheese, Pecorino Romano cheese and corn starch.
Reduce heat to medium; stir milk, cheese mixture and sauce together with cooked pasta (do not drain pasta; the starchy pasta water helps create an extra-rich sauce). Cook 5–7 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mixture is thickened, stirring frequently.
Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and pepper; serve immediately.