Penne alla Vodka Without the vodka
A flavorful dish that can be prepared in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 box penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup chopped white or yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 16 fluid ounces heavy cream
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
In pan over moderate heat, melt butter. Add onions and garlic. Cover and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add tomato paste and red pepper flakes. Cook until tomato paste starts to lightly brown.
Add apple cider vinegar and stir well. Cook over high heat until liquid is reduced by about half.
Add heavy cream and water; stir to incorporate tomato paste evenly. Bring to simmer.
Toss in cooked pasta. Add Parmesan, fresh basil and salt.