Tomato-Pimento Cheese Shortcakes With Black-Peppered Whipped Cream
- Category: Vegetarian, Side Dishes
- Servings: 12
- Print Recipe
Ahhh … juicy NC summer tomatoes, how we love thee. Since they don’t need much fuss’n over, this simple shortcake is just right for breakfast, brunch or as a side with a juicy steak. A dollop of savory cream is the crowning glory.
- 3¼ cups biscuit mix
- 1 cup thick pimento cheese
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (Duke’s preferred)
- ½ cup club soda
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- About 14 large tomatoes, diced
- ¾ cup minced sweet onion
- 4 tablespoons preferred oil
- 4 tablespoons preferred vinegar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup each chopped basil and oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 (8-ounce) cream cheese with chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Herbs to garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine shortcake ingredients and drop by heaping tablespoon onto prepared baking pan. Spread flat with back of spoon.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool.
Stir all filling ingredients together least one hour before serving. Spoon filling over 12 shortcakes, covering each with second cake.
For topping, whip cream and cream cheese until thickened. Blend in pepper.
Top shortcakes with dollop of whipped cream and garnish with fresh herbs.
Recipe courtesy ofWendy Perry, a culinary adventurist and blogger, chats about goodness around NC on her blog at WendysHomeEconomics.com.
More Side Dishes
An orange superfood!
July 11, 2018 |
Wendy Perry |
July 15, 2018 |