Chilled Shrimp Salad with capers and artichokes
The briny flavor of capers and crunch of fresh vegetables are a classic combination for shrimp salad. This recipe can be doubled to feed a large crew.
- 1 pound shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoon capers
- 2 marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Lettuce leaves and tomato quarters
Cut the peeled and deveined shrimp into 2 or 3 pieces, depending on the size of the shrimp. Place in a large bowl. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, eggs, capers and artichoke hearts, if using, then toss to combine.
In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery seed, salt and pepper. Pour over the mixture in the large bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Serve atop fresh lettuce leaves with tomato quarters.