Spicy Seafood Cocktail With NC wild-caught shrimp
This is one of those recipes where exactness isn’t important — use all of one seafood or whatever combo you like. Go with your favorite vegetables and what’s in season. Whether a light snack, brunch, lunch or supper, this cocktail will cool you off on a hot summer day.
- 2 quarts favorite Bloody Mary mix* or V8
- 1 bunch green or red onions, chopped
- 1 bunch radishes, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1–2 tablespoons horseradish
- 4 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- Zest of 1 lemon, lime, orange and juice of ½ each (Cut the remaining halves into wedges for guests’ cocktails.)
- Cracked black pepper
- 2 pounds North Carolina wild-caught shrimp
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 6 small lobster tails, chopped
- 2 firm avocados, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ pound lump crabmeat
Combine and chill the spicy sauce ingredients.
A few minutes before serving, add about four pounds of cooked shellfish of your choice (or use our suggestions above) and gently stir in the avocados and cilantro.
Sprinkle with crabmeat and more cilantro.
*We used NC’s Bruce Julian Bloody Mary Mix.