Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, visible fat discarded, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 2 cups fat-free, no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1 can (14½ ounces) no-salt-added, diced tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ancho powder
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches each)
- 2–4 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup finely chopped avocado
- ¼ medium red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
In slow cooker, stir chicken, corn, broth, tomatoes, onion, sugar, ancho powder, garlic and salt.
Cook, covered, on low 6–8 hours, or on high 3–4 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Take two tortillas and cut into ¼-inch-wide strips. On baking sheet, arrange tortilla strips in single layer. Bake 8–10 minutes, or until crisp. Transfer baking sheet to cooling rack. Let strips stand 15 minutes, or until cool. Transfer to airtight container and set aside.
When soup is ready, transfer 1 cup to food processor or blender. Tear remaining tortilla into pieces and stir in. Let mixture stand 1 minute. Process until smooth. Stir mixture into soup. Stir in cilantro. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with avocado, bell pepper and reserved tortilla strips.